Monday, April 20, 2015

Spring 2015 progress

Lots of great stuff has been happening around the House of Duck.  After we got the roof all on I noticed a small leak on the original roof (building 1). When I built the building I never intended on making a home out of it so I didn't worry about the roof leaking a little.  I also didn't put it on in a manner conducive to living in it. I just put 1x4 purlins across the rafters and screwed my tin to them. This allows condensation to form on the underside and drip on everything below.  The proper way for a metal roof to go on is sheathing, roofing felt, then the tin. So after some ideas of just putting a bandaid on it to get by I decided we would be miles ahead if we went ahead and fixed it right.

I pulled off all the tin on building 1 and removed the purlins as well.  While I had that all off, I went ahead and fixed the rafter angle to match the building 2 rafters.  When I put the roof on building 2 I realized there was a noticeable bump between the two. Now was my chance to fix it.

So in a weeks time,  I removed the old roof,  foxed the rafters,  put sheathing on building 1,put felt down and the replaced the tin.  Managed to do all that for under $200.00. The bandaid fixes were all in the $800.00 range.  I didn't manage to get any pictures when I was completely finished since I was rushing to get it done before dark each day after work.


In the first picture you can see the condensation. The second shows the roof with just felt. 



No comments:

Post a Comment